I had the honor of speaking in this episode with Dr. Don Whitney, author of the recently revised Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life – an accessible yet deeply edifying book on bible study, prayer, fasting, fellowship, worship, and much more.
Dr. Whitney is a man that doesn’t need much of an introduction. He is a leading expert on the biblical basis and practice of the spiritual disciplines – and his Spiritual Disciplines book is a classic that is heartily recommended by every Christian leader and teacher I’ve heard.
Take a listen to this episode to hear Dr. Whitney’s wisdom on incorporating the spiritual disciplines into our busy lives in an authentic and powerful way – and how to avoid many of the errors of thought or action that many experience with the disciplines.
In This Episode…
In this episode, Dr. Whitney discusses:
– How discipline is not opposed to the gospel but is an outflow from the gospel
– Biblical examples of busy believers and their devotional methods
– Apps Whitney uses for his personal spiritual disciplines
– One reason you’d want to actually read less in your bible
– How to perform the disciplines well with the time we have
– What one change Whitney would want to make in the spiritual lives of modern Christians
– How much time is enough in your daily devotionals
– What makes discipline a drudgery and what makes it a delight
– Why Whitney doesn’t watch sports on Sunday
– Molding the disciplines to our individual personalities
– The most common problem Whitney sees in how many practice the disciplines
– How to work as a spiritual discipline
Mentioned in This Episode:
For more information on Donald Whitney and his insight, check out www.BiblicalSpirituality.org.
Donald Whitney’s blog is found at www.BiblicalSpirituality.org/blog/
To order Whitney’s books, you can visit amazon or his bookstore.
What point stuck out to you the most?
Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. However, this doesn’t affect what I write about, what I choose to say, or what I recommend. Learn more here.